Thursday, January 20, 2011

Let's All Get Giant Perms!

How is dramatic suspense created?

I don't know about you, but it seems that Iago has a soliloquy every other iamb, giving explicit details of his plans for revenge right before the scene unfolds or just as it ends (II.iii.345-351 and just about any other page you turn to). So, how then could this possibly cause suspense when the audience knows exactly how the play will unfold?  People were probably dumber in the 15/1600s and needed some more 'splainin, but there's still that mote of uncertainty which something could go terribly wrong with Iago's plan, or, I dare say, yes, I dare, a twist in the plot. We even know Othello is a tragedy which means (spoiler alert!) that Othello has to die in some way. Even knowing all the information, I still find myself captivated as Iago brings himself to new lows. Train wreck principle, I suppose. (Are you tired of italics yet?)
You can't not look!

1 comment:

  1. I think, when you have the villain explaining what he plans to do, there's still the why and if it will happen to keep the audience in suspense

    ReplyDelete