Tuesday, February 15, 2011

You may be cool, but you'll never be four popped collars cool.

So the big ending when Laura blew those sticks of wax out and Tom was all moody and "Laura, I can't quit you!" (Did that just happen? Oh yeah.) has me all in the speculative mood. So let's start with what I noticed, because that's what good readers do, or something. Light, and sometimes lack of it, played a large role in the play. You could say it was the lead! Ahahahaha! But many times, light cues were used, and lighting was described, such as a pale red light coming from the new floor lamp that illuminated Laura's beauty that wasn't there normally, a reference to a pleasant lemon yellow light, the light shining on their father's picture, the electricity going out, and a reference to Benjamin Franklin when he found electricity, the sheer beauty when light was shone on one of Laura's glass pieces, and many more that would just brighten your day. So after Laura's kind of transformation, as physically represented with the unicorn losing its horn, Laura, who is represented as a glass figurine of sorts, blows out her dim candles that wouldn't quite illuminate her as brilliantly as a light bulb. So blowing out her candles, though usually kind of a bad symbol is actually quite positive because she's moved to the brilliance of electrical light, which was kind of a big deal back then because it was new-fangled for the general consuming public. This is made evident by the line "For nowadays the world is lit by lightning!" which I believe references to Benjamin Franklin doin' his thang with his kite and key and lightning and electricity and light bulbs. So now Laura's happy and shtuff and that's cool.

Can I get a double dang for that in-depth analysis?

Go big money!

2 comments:

  1. Doubledang! I gather that you do not think Laura is dead. This pleases me. Are you saying you think Tom decided to go back, and that Laura improved rather than declined? I think you are. Also I don't think you will respond to this. *tempts fate*

    ReplyDelete
  2. THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT I'M SAYING! =D But I guess not according to class discussion.

    ReplyDelete