Thursday, September 23, 2010

Bring me a French Baguette

"Ozymandias" by Percy Shelley

This poem, in a unit involving irony, was ever so ironic. Ozymandias, once upon a time, was a ruler of Egypt or some sandy place like that. Being a natural-born douche bag, he abused his power and made pretty things to show himself off. Mr. Hotstuff is then come across years later in statue form by a "traveler" who said even his statue was smug. It commented on how Ozymandias did such big, big, big things and that we should all cower at his kingdom and his sneering visage. The funny ha-ha part, though is that he's a broken statue in the middle of nowhere with nothing but sand around him! Maybe you had to be there. Either way, I thought the poem was interesting in that it satirized a dead historical figure. But Ozymandias is supposed to represent a current political figya of that time, but just who it is will remain a mystery because I have not the brain-power or background information to unravel this pertinent mystery.
Meh.

2 comments:

  1. When I was reading this poem, I was reallyconfused. I could only make sense of bits and pieces at a time, and I was having a lot of trouble stringing them together. My notes on it are as follows:
    -personification?
    -king, overlord, cold
    -tyranny, destruction
    -
    statue
    Questions!

    So thank you for clearing that up a bit. I should still probably have another look at it....

    ReplyDelete