Thursday, September 9, 2010

Do all the women in the Bureau have to wear those really masculine shoes?

"London" by William Blake

I dunno 'bout you, but I was definitely getting a whole tone and mood are really important kind of vibe from this poem. Oh, you did too? Well, I equated William Blake's description of London with Sweeny Todd. Both give a very dark tone and mood, Sweeny Todd with both the story and the physical lighting and "London" with imagery of "black'ning Church[es], blood down Palace walls, marks of weakness...[and] woe." In addition, much like E.D.'s funeral poem, which is also on the darker side, sound was very prevalent. Many of the characters "cry" such as every man, every infant, and Chimney sweepers, in addition to others making their voices heard as well. This is also found in Sweeny Todd through singing. London's a rough place, it seems.


How could I not post a Sweeny Todd song? I feel it compliments the poem perfectly.

3 comments:

  1. It was-a the Pope!

    That's an odd first line to float into my brain.

    This one guy at the library said I should go to London and get my picture taken on Abbey Road, and I though, "Has he never met anybody else named Abby before?" I think I already told you that. I just felt like my comment was lacking something. So there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There indeed. But where? Wherefore art thou Romeo?

    ReplyDelete