Thursday, September 23, 2010

Lightning Blew Up my Modem. How does that feel? Squishy?

"Barbie Doll" by Marge Piercy

When I was little, I was definitely jealous of girls who got to play with dolls in their AWESOME doll houses with their AWESOME accessories (a hot pink Corvette screams classy) that provided hours of endless fun. But boys were supposed to go outside and get dirty and push each other around and throw dirt in each other's eyes. These are just two "societal norms" placed on children today. Well, guess what society, I hate outside and I happen to appreciate the finer details of a fine pink, plastic Corvette. If only the girl in "Barbie Doll" could have taken a few lessons from this rogue, then she wouldn't be in her final resting place covered in wrappings of irony. The girl is described as intelligent, healthy, and overall AWESOME; however, someone notes her imperfect nose and legs. From this she feels she must alter herself into a cookie-cutter shape society projects for all people to follow, much like the Barbie dolls I was denied the right to play wit....I mean, that she played with in her youth. When she changes her outside to become pretty for society, she loses that which makes her AWESOME and degrades into a death of her physical/mental/emotional self.
I wasn't alone!!

1 comment:

  1. If it makes you feel any better... Barbies weren't all they were cracked up to be.

    On a side note, I hated it when the McDonald's drive-thru (<--irksome spelling) people would ask, "Is it for a boy or a girl?" as though girls were not allowed to play with HotWheels and boys weren't to play with Barbies =|. This reminds me that you ought to watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIA5x4tuuO8 . It is relevant.

    ReplyDelete