Thursday, April 21, 2011

I may be a raving lunatic, but my hair looks fabulous!

"Clerval! Beloved friend! Even now it delights me to record your words and to dwell on the praise of which you are so eminently deserving." pg 149

"She left me, and I continued some time walking up and down the passages of the house and inspecting every corner that might afford a retreat to my adversary. But I discovered no trace of him and was beginning to conjecture that some fortunate chance had intervened to prevent the execution of his menaces when suddenly I heard a shrill and dreadful scream." pg 186

So suspense is exactly what Frankenstein doesn't do. Operating within a frame story, it is very difficult to create suspense because the reader knows that whatever peril the protagonist is in, he'll make it out safely, more or less, or he wouldn't be narrating. Additionally, Mary Shelley really did write the book (HA!) for this genre because, especially leading up to Elizabeth's murder, I felt like I was watching one of those really predictable thriller/horror movies where you talk to the screen at the characters telling them that they're incredibly stupid for wanting to check the closet. Sure enough someone pops out and makes you jump. Well that's kind of what happened with Elizabeth. Victor leaves her alone to go check for the monster. Yeah, capital idea. So, that's how suspense is killed, strangled like the monster does his victims. Metaphor? Oh yes.
You're right Frankie, it's just a book.

1 comment: