Thursday, August 12, 2010

Ay yay yay yay. I am the Frito Bandito!

So the last chapter ends with O'Brien going on about what exactly stories are for. I found it very poetic. His next chapter begins

"This is one story I've never told before." pg. 37

and I was like "Hey! Noice transition mate!" I even wrote it in my book, that's how good it was.

So I'd really like to quote the entire freak-out-on-a-boat thing but that's an entire paragraph that takes up two pages, so none of that, just know what I'm talking about. Instead, we'll settle for this.

"All those eyes on me - the town, the whole universe - and I couldn't risk the embarrassment." pg. 57

This whole chapter, I believe though, illustrates O'Brien's stream of consciousness. With special emphasis on the hallucination in between Canada and the US the stream of consciousness lets the reader into the character's head, which is especially crucial when having an emotional meltdown. The stream of consciousness style helps illuminate why O'Brien acts the way he does, and even let's the reader empathize without even having to experience such an event. I particularly enjoyed this chapter with a juicy confession. Also, the phrase "juicy confession" or "juicy gossip" makes me really thirsty for lemonade in particular.

Thirsty now?

2 comments:

  1. I remain surprisingly hydrated.

    Also, it feels kind of cheap to me that he says, "This is one story I've never told before." I mean, when he first wrote it, he'd never told it before, but by now, he's told it hundreds of times as each person reads it.

    Maybe that's too persnickety of me.

    ReplyDelete