Friday, August 13, 2010

Soy Muy Que Fabulosa

"The lake lay flat and silvery against the sun. Along the road the houses were all low-slung and split-level and modern, with big porches and picture windows facing the water. The lawns were spacious. On the lake side of the road, where real estate was most valuable, the houses were handsome and set out into the lake, and boats moored and covered with canvas, and neat gardens, and sometimes even gardeners, and stone patios with barbecue spits and grills, and wooden shingles saying who lived where." pg. 131

My first thought after reading the entire description of the town in "Speaking of Courage" was "O'Brien is so much better at imagery than Hemingway." And I think Hemingway hangs his hat on being descriptive and such. It really is easier though to blog about a book I didn't enjoy than a book I did. I could go on for quite some time about how TSAR should have never have been written to at the very least spare a few seniors some trouble over the summer. It is much more difficult to praise, I've found. There are only so many ways to say "I really liked this" or "I thought he did this well" without sounding redundant. Or at least to me they sound redundant. Either way, there's a connection between the two books we read. Give me points.

1 comment: