Friday, August 13, 2010

When is it NOT the most wonderful time of the year?

"Kathleen had just turned ten, and this trip was a kind of birthday present, showing her the world, offering a small piece of her father's history." pg. 174

Dear God, how much money do you have lying around as a writer that you can take your daughter to Vietnam for her birthday?

"'Well,' I finally managed. 'There it is.'" pg. 178

This could be an apostrophe...I think. The doubt comes because when he finally speaks he isn't addressing anybody. However, earlier O'Brien is thinking of some proper words to say for his buddy and he can only say "Well, there it is." I'm sure it's a difficult task because he made it sound like he and Kiowa were sthuper cuhluhose frayands, but it's not conducive for easy analyzation by a certain high schooler. I think I'll settle for an attempt at an apostrophe, but I won't say I'm satisfied. An apostrophe in this situation, though, would improve the tear-jerking factor.
Kiowa's the monkey and Tim's the Banana. His spoon is too big.

2 comments:

  1. Mein Löffel ist zu groß!

    I had mostly dismissed that moment as Tim talking to himself, and I imagined his daughter staring at him warily, but I like it better if it's an apostrophe.

    ReplyDelete