Thursday, August 12, 2010

Dix dollars déclare Matthew Blandford vais essayer de traduire cette.

"The stump of his right leg was twitching. There were slivers of bone, and the blood came in quick spurts like water from a pump." pg. 62.

EwwewwewwewwEWWW! Now that that's out of my system, I can honestly say I found the next two chapters muy interesante. What jumped out at me first was the juxtaposition of the titles, "Enemies" and "Friends." Then, hey wouldn't you know, the two guys that grew to be enemies are now friends. War, I feel, can be titanically traumatic, even out of combat as these chapters prove. Though these two men hated each other and even sent one into a kind of hysteria, this trauma and dealing with it together as a team greatly bonds people beyond the protective emotional walls that one erects around oneself.

I'm also constantly wondering if what I'm reading comes from an actual experience of the author, or if it's one of his made-up-so-you-can-feel-what-war-is-like stories. I'm thinking this one was the latter, but I've been wrong befo...wait, that's absurd, I'm never wrong.
Heehee, you see what I did there?

4 comments:

  1. I see what you did there. That guy looks like Steve Burns from Blue's Clues mixed with Jim Carrey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha agreed abby. And Christian, I wondered the same thing you did. I would like to believe that these are all true stories but I kind of doubt it. My favorite chapters were the ones that he specifically said were true such
    as 'Speaking of Courage'.

    And I am very curious about the meaning of the title of this post...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Je n'ai pas essayer, M Christian; j'ai reussi!
    I also agree, Christian. After a while it becomes difficult to distinguish between truth, exaggeration, and fiction. Perhaps that's the trouble with war stories, though; after so many are published with the most grotesque details imaginable, readers automatically begin to doubt.

    ReplyDelete