Friday, August 13, 2010

Esh ish sho goot!

"I had been forced to omit the shit field and the rain and the death of Kiowa, replacing this material with events that better fit the book's narrative. As a consequence I'd lost the natural counterpoint between the lake and the field." pg. 153

=/ Well, one good thing about "Notes" is that it's mighty analytical. But once again, O'Brien kind of takes the wind out of my sails by acknowledging the same thing I just said. It's really difficult to blog about this book chapter by chapter. Some chapters are just a page or two, leaving me wondering what to do with them. Others are long and convoluted, with O'Brien's commentary. It's one thing to reflect on something, but to reflect on reflections is kind of...nyyeah. That's probably why Abby got confused on my previous posts about the made up dead guy. I'll explain, I promise! Just give me a few. I suppose a good thing about TSAR is that each chapter, being more structured than TTTC, made it a clear-cut on how to blog about it. It even had twenty chapters.

Illustrative, eh?

2 comments:

  1. Yippeeeee, shout-outs! I feel special.

    That chapter was confusing because it seemed like he was telling us why he wrote things the way he wrote them, but I just don't TRUST the guy anymore. Maybe he's making it all up! I don't know! Nyaaaah! But I still like his writing. Mostly.

    ReplyDelete