Friday, August 13, 2010

Rock On, Crouton!

"But this too is true: stories can save us. I'm forty-three years old, and a writer now...." pg. 213

This book was published in 1990. He is now 63 and a writer.

"'How's the war today?' somebody would ask, and Ted Lavender would give a little smile to the sky and say, 'Mellow - a nice smooth war today.' And then in April he was shot in the head outside the village of Than Khe." pg. 218

Oh, how these authors love to come full circle with their story. Tim O'Brien did it with much more class and overall entertainability. I noted earlier in my blog how TSAR comes full circle with Jake and Brett in a cab and I said nothing much had really changed. Costello, being the teacher that he is, wanted me to probe a little deeper and prompted me with a "You didn't notice anything different?" Well, I went back and looked some more and I can honestly say I didn't notice a difference from that first cab ride to the final cab ride. That's not to say there isn't a difference, I'm just not inclined to find it.

Also, every time Ted Lavender spoke, I imagined the Volkswagen van in Cars.
Oh look! There's Ted Lavender now!

3 comments:

  1. Are you imagining the Volkswagon from Cars because there is lavender paint on the car...?

    My computer is utterly convinced that I am a robot and keeps making me fill out nonsensical captcha codes.

    I did that math toooooo, but I didn't fit it into his insistent motif-ical sentence thing, so it's not as cool. =[

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually the paint is mint-green, as seen in the picture, but I'm mostly imagining his voice being similar.

    ReplyDelete