Wednesday, November 17, 2010

The Croissant: Le do or le don't?

"Miss Brill" by Katherine Mansfield

I don't know why, but it seems like hardcore creeper characters make good literature to someone in high places. If that's the case, I could totally write Nobel Prize worthy stories because when it comes to creeping, I'm A-1. Miss Brill could take a few lessons from me. And she takes an unhealthy liking to having a little "almond surprise" in her cake. AAAANNDD after having her creeping hopes and dreams crushed by the rude little French couple who were two seconds away from doing it in front of the entirety of France she runs into her room and cries. Whether it's her, her creepy animal thing she wears, or her soouuull, it's also pretty emo. I really don't have too much sympathy for her, which may be cold and heartless. However, kids, we must remember she's a fictional character and doesn't have real feelings. And don't even begin to give me a "but she's real in your heart and on the page" kind of crap. This cynic ain't buyin' it.

Truth.

1 comment:

  1. French. Always so much French. I don't understand. How do you know French?

    And this is probably a minor detail, but I was wondering at one point...
    Does she just sometimes order that cake thing with an almond and sometimes not? Or is it that she never knows if there will be one?

    ReplyDelete