Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Texting your friends who aren't there is cooler than merely talking to the ones that are.

"Interpreter of Maladies" by Jhumpa Lahiri

So, when I first read Harry Potter and they mentioned the wizard hospital, St. Mungo's Hospital for Magical Maladies and Injuries, I thought it was surprisingly specific in that it only dealt with women because I somehow interpreted "maladies" as having to do with women. Probably something with the word "ladies" in it and kind of sounding like "m'ladies" aaand kind of looking like the word madame. It was then to my surprise that there were male patients there. Thank you, Harry Potter, for teaching me the definition of maladies before I read this short story lest I be utterly confused. Also, Mr. Kapasi was creepin' hardcore on Mrs. Das. That's pretty much what I got from this story. Mr. Kapasi is gross. That kid gets pwnd by some monkeys. Mrs. Das is depressed and ill content. Not that earth-shattering. Hmm.
No longer Peeps, or even Marshmallow Creeps.
I know christen these treats as Mr. Kapasi's.

1 comment:

  1. I am jealous of your Harry Potter reference. Speaking of the educational value of Harry Potter, I remember on the SAT when I took it inexplicably in eighth grade, there was the word "maraud," and I knew what it meant because of Harry Potter.

    ReplyDelete