Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Don't Get Scurvy. Thank You.

"Hunters in the Snow" by Tobias Wolff

First, props go out to Lacy Christian for connecting this to the Southpark gag of "Oh my God, you killed Kenny!" 'Twas pretty awesome and worth quite a few laughs. Ohohohoho. Santa.

It could be argued that Tub, on the surface, is a stock character: a cartoon-like obese man who is the butt of other people's jokes. What characterizing details help to make Tub into a fully realized individual?

Well, just the fact that even Tub's name suggests he's a large fellow doesn't do much for him. However, one could connect this to Lord of the Flies in which Piggy is a kind of stock character as well who is overweight and picked on. Both have names that describe their appearances and both are more than they seem. Tubs is more than someone there for comic relief. One of his most profound acts is shooting Kenny out of self-preservation. I don't know about you, but that's not quite so funny-ha-ha. He is further developed into a more serious character as he makes known his preference for not being made fun of for his weight. In addition, the spilling of his STHUPER STHEECRET of that, hey, he just eats more food than a cow each day and that his weight really isn't due to a gland problem. Shockerrrrrr.
Points for finding the most relevant picture!

1 comment:

  1. Aaahaaaaa, I laughed out loud for a long time.

    Also, I don't understand why you said "Santa."

    Also also, I am remembering how I had not yet at the time we began discussing this realized that I read the wrong short story, and I had no idea what you were talking about, and I really hoped we were going to get back on topic soon, but then we actually were already on topic, and then I was just stymied and whatnot.

    ReplyDelete