Friday, July 9, 2010

The Brotherhood of the Westside Bawlers

"She put her head on one hand and rocked it up and down." pg. 59

I have many issues with this statement. First, I'm having trouble picturing how this looks, no matter how many times I go back to re-read it. Second, Hemingway's got it all backwards. You put your hand on your head, not the other way around. That's weird, Hemingway, weird. And finally, I'm not sure if the hand is doing the rocking or the head. I expect antecedent issues from a third grader, not a magical, mystical writer who blows people's head's off with his books.

Also, let it be known that Count Mippipopolous has the best name in the history of mankind.

It reminds me of one of these!

3 comments:

  1. Heeeeeey. I told you that story. I am glad I'm reading theeeeese.

    I said that was a nonverbal euphemism. I don't know if that's possible, though. Anyway, she doesn't want to say "drunk," so she makes some crazy hand motion, which Hemingway describes with a seemingly poor understanding of human movement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He does. And I think just about everything you told me in that fateful car ride somehow got mixed up in my head only to reappear again, claiming to be original ideas.

    ReplyDelete