Friday, July 9, 2010

Most of my time spent on this blog was used thinking of titles for entries.

THEME and POINT OF VIEW


Well to wrap things up, I feel that I was supposed to get a theme about having a greater understanding for society and pitying its lack of morals and how the quality of life is going down the tubes. Most of the time though, I found from the very beginning of the book asking myself, "why do I care?" I really did, it's in my first blog. I feel most of the chapters could be summarized like this:

Begin with a heavily intricate description of the scene,


Jacob eats and drinks enough to feed France and Spain combined,

Everybody takes a stab at getting into Brett's pants,

Jake takes a shower and goes to bed.

At least Hemingway's consistent. I'm sure glad I can count on you!
Oh and since Jake told the story, it was in first person. Probably because Hemingway didn't identify with this heathen generation, but rather felt obligated to fix its woes through heart-pumping fiction.


This is me reading The Sun Also Rises on my computer from 1989.

And I never really figured out what the title meant, but I'm sure we'll discuss it in class.

3 comments:

  1. I'm confused; did you read the book on your computer?

    I don't understand the title. I mean, maybe "The Sun Rises," but why does it ALSO rise? What other thing is so important? The sun sets, but it also rises? Bulls get their ears cut off, but the sun also rises?

    Heeeey, they're talking about that Amber Alert from last night on the news.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most of the time spent on this blog was used trying to understand the titles of entries.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to have to agree with you here, Christian. Never once did it occur to me why Hemingway titled this book as he did. In fact, the book seemed rather pessimistic to me. Maybe something about the sun setting would have been more appropriate since there was never happiness in any of the characters' woeful tales.
    Oh and I liked your use of pictures by the way. Very creative!

    ReplyDelete