Friday, July 9, 2010

I say, what a rigamarole at that shindig!

"Romero never made any contortions, always it was straight and pure and natural in line. The others twisted themselves like cork-screws, their elbows raised, and leaned against the flanks of the bull after his horns had passed, to give a faked look of danger. Afterward, all that was faked turned bad and gave an unpleasant feeling. Romero's bull-fighting gave real emotion, because he kept the absolute purity of line in his movements and always quietly and calmly let the horns pass him close each time..." last paragraph of pg. 171

What stuck me here was the technique that goes into bull fighting. I never realized how much some people may considered this an art, but the effort to at least try to turn killing bulls into something beautiful is valid. I can't blame someone for wanting to get good at a skill, but bull fighting is just for those crazy ones out there. Not to mention those "posers" referred strictly in this book as aficionados. I thought it interesting that it was always used in the context of "someone who is passionate about bull fighting." I bet you'll never see Jacob Barnes fight a bull (in fact, you won't, because he doesn't). So much for being "passionate." That's no better than being "passionate" about collecting Pokemon cards when you were seven.

Ole!

2 comments:

  1. i had a beast pokemon card collection. I was going to keep it for fifty years and then sell them for a bazillion dollars apiece. it doesn't work as well when every other kid gets the same idea.

    nobody really needed to know that about me...hmm...

    ReplyDelete
  2. my cousin gave me a pikachu card. aside from that... i could never get into it.

    ReplyDelete