Friday, July 9, 2010

Doorbells and doorknobs and unicorns and rainbows and stickers!

IRONY and a PUN


"'Hey! that's not the way,' Bill said. 'Say something ironical. Make some crack about Primo de Rivera'"
"I could ask her what kind of a jam they think they've gotten into in the Riff." "'Poor,' said Bill. 'Very poor. You can't do it. That's all. You don't understand irony. You have no pity. Say something pitiful.'" "Robert Cohn."
pg. 119

I don't think either of them understand irony. If only the magical interwebz was invented in their day, then they could have gone to this site. It expertly and humorously (always a plus) explains how to use irony properly and what is and isn't irony. I'll point out that Abby Koop also used this site in one of her blogs, which I think we both found while procrastinating on http://www.stumbleupon.com/. I totally called dibs on it first in my head, but I procrastinated longer, so she put it up before me, but it was so my idea.

Indeed though, there was a pun involving jam in the quote. This further expresses Jacob's inability to comprehend the vast intellectual qualities of irony. If unable to understand irony, substitute two and a half parts pity. Blend.

3 comments:

  1. Iiiii seeent thaaaat toooo youuuu!

    But we can share.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh. Well things just get fuzzy in my head. But I'm still very selfishly calling dibs. But you're right. Dibs.

    ReplyDelete