Friday, July 9, 2010

Cunegonde! Candide!

"We had a bottle of wine apiece." pg. 133

I don't know about you, but the amount of alcohol drunk in this little storybook seems like enough for each person to be dead from alcohol poisoning or cirrhosis of the liver. I guess they're just ghettofab like that.

Hey, it sparkles!

"Oh yes. They've never seen a desencajonada." pg. 136

Also, I feel like I should be carrying Google Translate in my pocket as I read this book. Cool it, Hemingway. Oh, and Google Translate says a desencajonada is an "unpacker."

"Breeding be damned. Who has any breeding, anyway, except the bulls? Aren't the bulls lovely? Don't you like them, Bill? Why don't you say something, Robert? Don't sit there looking like a bloody funeral. What if Brett did sleep with you? She's slept with lots of better people than you." pg. 146

Well, Robert's just a magnet for verbal abuse, which always seems to have ladies involved. Though he's a little creepy and kind of weird around Brett, I don't feel he deserves all this abuse. Hemingway really capitalizes on the Jews' history of being human punching bags. 

1 comment: